There has been an increase in break and enters in the Crestmont area over the past couple of months. There was another break and enter today Friday May 30th.
As a result of the break and enters I have a directed patrol in Crestmont which basically means increased police patrols, so I hope you are seeing more police vehicle patrolling the area.
Please pass onto others in the Community, to be vigilant, report suspicious vehicles and persons to the police. Ensure Doors and windows are secured and alarm systems are utilized if you have them when you leave you home.
Lock vehicles left on the driveway and remove garage door openers from them – this is a common method of entry.
Doors and locks:
- Outside doors and frames should be made of solid wood or steel, which are harder to force open than hollow-core doors. Frames should fit snugly (within ¼ inch) against the door.
- Secure all outside doors with deadbolt locks.
- Ensure the lock’s throw (or bolt) extends at least one inch past the edge of the door when locked.
- The strike plate is the flat metal piece on the door frame that receives the lock’s throw, or bolt. Attach a six- or eight-inch strike plate with screws long enough (about three inches) to pass through the door frame and into the wall stud.
When home during the day, report the following to the Calgary Police Service at 403 266-1234:
- Vehicles moving slowly and randomly through the neighbourhood.
- A stranger running or walking randomly through the neighbourhood.
- A stranger looking into homes or parked cars.
What to do about prowlers or break-ins:
- If you see a prowler outside your home, call the police at once at 9-1-1.
- If someone enters your house while you’re there, call 9-1-1.
- If you arrive home to find someone has broken in, call the police at 266-1234 from another location before entering the house. If you believe someone is still inside, call 9-1-1.
For more information about crime prevention, visit the Calgary Police Service Web site atwww.calgarypolice.ca.
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Constable Dylan Harris #4411
Community Resource Officer
District 2 Zone 4
Calgary Police Service