Robert Herritt of Styro-Go shows off just how compressed styrofoam can get. (Madeleine Cummings/CBC)
Did you know that styrofoam can be recycled? Your Crestmont Community Association wants you to save up your styrofoam, along with all the other things that are outside of the City of Calgary recycling program for the first ever Crestmont Recycling Day!
Join us at the Crestmont Hall on August 30th from 11:00am until 2:00pm along with some incredible Calgary businesses that specialize in keeping recyclable materials out of the landfills.
Stay tuned for more information as the date gets closer, but here are some of the items that we will be collecting:
- Styrofoam (confirmed) StyroGo
- Paint (confirmed) CCA via Spy Hill Landfill
- Bottles (confirmed) CCA
- Metal (confirmed) Navajo Metals
- Electronics (confirmed) Quantum Lifecycle (formerly GEEP)
- Child Car Seats (confirmed cost $15/seat) Re-Matt
- Clothing & Household Donations (confirmed) WINS
- Tires (confirmed) CCA via Spy Hill Landfill
- Mattresses (confirmed cost $20/mattress) Re-Matt
* It is crucial that you understand what can and can not be accepted at the Crestmont Recycle Day event. YOU CANNOT BRING:
- Compost Material or Green Cart Items
- Plastic, Cardboard or other Blue Cart Items
- Ammunition, guns, and knives
- Baby / Children’s equipment – cribs, cradles, bassinets, high chairs, swings, bath seats or bath rings, baby walkers, booster seats, strollers or carriages, playpens, and safety gates.
- Gas Powered lawn mowers and trimmers
- Pianos or large organs
- Plastic goods with P7 Code
- Toiletries that have been opened (shampoo, lotions, etc.)
- Used helmets (ski, hockey, bicycle or in-line)
- Used plastic storage ware or canning jars
- VHS, 8 track tapes, cassettes tapes
- Fluorescent light bulbs & tubes
* Vendors have specific lists of what they can and can not accept as well. Please observe the following lists before you show up on recycling day:
Here is a list of items that the Women In Need Society is and is not accepting
Here is a list of items that Navajo Metals will not accept
If you are interested in volunteering to help us put on this event, please reach out.
Watch here on the CCA website for more details as we finalize them.